Act V, Scenes 1 and 2: Questions and Answers
1. Where does Scene 1 take place?
2. What was Romeo’s dream?
3. Who brings Romeo the news that Juliet is dead?
4. Why does Romeo go to the Apothecary?
5. How much does Romeo pay for the poison?
6. Why does the Apothecary hesitate in selling Romeo the poison?
7. What persuades the Apothecary to go ahead and sell Romeo the poison?
8. Who does Friar Laurence entrust with the important letter to Romeo?
9. Why is the letter not delivered to Romeo?
10. How long will it be before Juliet wakes up?
1. Scene 1 takes place in Mantua where Romeo has been banished.
2. Romeo dreams that Juliet finds him dead and brings him back to life as an emperor with her kisses.
3. Balthasar, Romeo’s servant, brings him the news that Juliet is dead and was buried in the Capulet tomb.
4. Romeo goes to the Apothecary to buy poison.
5. Romeo pays 40 ducats for the poison.
6. The Apothecary hesitates in selling Romeo the poison because it is against the law in Mantua to sell the substance.
7. Because of his extreme poverty, the Apothecary consents to sell Romeo the poison.
8. Friar Laurence entrusts the important letter to Friar John to deliver to Romeo. This letter explains to Romeo about Juliet’s pretended death and tells him to be at the tomb when she wakes up.
9. Friar John is not able to deliver the letter because he is quarantined while visiting the sick.
10. Juliet is due to wake up in about three hours.