Act IV, Scenes 1-3: Questions and Answers
1. Why is Paris at Friar Laurence’s cell?
2. What reason does Paris give the Friar for the hasty marriage?
3. How long will the sleeping potion take effect?
4. Where will Juliet be put after her family believes that she is dead?
5. Who will be waiting in the tomb when Juliet awakens from the sleeping potion?
6. Who is supervising the preparations for the wedding?
7. What change does Lord Capulet make in the wedding plans?
8. If the potion does not work, what does Juliet plan to do?
9. What vision makes her have the strength to go ahead and drink the potion?
10. How will Romeo know about the plans?
1. Paris is arranging his wedding with Friar Laurence.
2. The marriage is hasty in order to stop Juliet’s tears over Tybalt’s death.
3. The sleeping potion will last for 42 hours.
4. After her parents think she is dead, Juliet will be placed in the Capulet vault with her deceased ancestors.
5. When Juliet awakens from the sleeping potion, Romeo will be waiting for her in the tomb.
6. Lord Capulet is supervising the wedding preparations.
7. Lord Capulet moves the wedding from Thursday to Wednesday.
8. If the potion does not work, she plans to kill herself with the dagger that she lays beside her.
9. The vision of Tybalt coming after Romeo gives her the strength to go ahead and drink the potion.
10. Romeo will know of the plan because Friar Laurence is planning to send him a letter.