Act II, Scenes 3 and 4: Questions and Answers
1. What is Friar Laurence’s special skill or area of knowledge?
2. With what does Friar Laurence compare the beneficial and poisonous parts of the plant?
3. About what does the Friar caution Romeo?
4. Why does the Friar agree to marry Romeo and Juliet?
5. Who has sent Romeo a challenge for a duel?
6. What excuse is Juliet to give for going to Friar Laurence’s cell?
7. Where are Romeo and Juliet to be married?
8. Who teases Romeo about Rosaline and his love-sickness?
9. Who teases the Nurse and causes her to become crass?
10. How does Romeo plan to get into Juliet’s window?
1. Friar Laurence’s special skill is in making medicines and potions from herbs.
2. Friar Laurence compares the beneficial and poisonous parts of a plant to the good and evil within a man.
3. Friar Laurence cautions Romeo about being too hasty.
4. The Friar believes that by marrying the two lovers, he will end the feud between the Capulets and the Montagues.
5. Tybalt has sent Romeo a challenge for a duel. He is angry that Romeo came to the ball uninvited and was allowed to remain.
6. Juliet is going to get permission to go to Friar Laurence’s cell by saying that she needs to go to shrift, or confession.
7. Romeo and Juliet are to be married in Friar Laurence’s cell.
8. Mercutio, Romeo’s friend, teases him about Rosaline and his love-sickness.
9. Mercutio teases the Nurse and causes her to become angry.
10. Romeo has given the Nurse a rope ladder in order that he might climb into Juliet’s window later that night.