Topics for Further Study
• What are the underlying roles that the man and the woman in “Reunions with a Ghost” expect each other to play? Are these typical or atypical gender roles? Do the characters fulfill the roles or do they rebel against them?
• Write a paragraph describing how the woman reveals her character during the course of the poem. What sort of woman is she? How would you describe the character of the man, as seen through the woman’s eyes?
• What does the speaker mean when she says, “I have come through the ordeal of loving once again?” What do you think she has learned?
• Is the mental and emotional makeup of men inherently different from that of women, or are the differences purely a result of social conditioning?
• Write a free verse poem from the point of view of the man in “Reunions with a Ghost,” describing the same incident. Remember that people can remember and interpret the same events in very different ways.