Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 504
1. Rawls writes a beautiful description of Billy's home in chapter two. Make a collage using pictures from magazines that illustrate his description. Display your finished piece.
2. Find out about steel traps, the kind Billy used. Talk to a hunter/trapper who has traps. Video tape a demonstration of how to set and spring a trap. Interview the trapper to learn how he prepares traps, sets his trapping lines, prepares pelts, and markets them. Share your work with classmates.
3. Make a display of dogs who are hunting breeds. Include the redbone coonhound Billy wanted.
4. Billy saved for two full years to accumulate fifty dollars, the cost of two coon pups. Find the average cost of two coon pups today. What money-making activities could a ten-year-old do today to earn money? Make a list of them and what you think could be earned by each. How long would it take to acquire the needed money?
5. Billy hunts the river bottoms of his home. Find his home on a map. Use the Internet, encyclopedias, library books, or travel literature to learn about the Ozarks and the Cherokee lands. Share your information with your classmates.
6. Billy was a coon hunter. Write a paper on the regulations for coon hunting today. List the regulations for coon hunting gleaned from Where the Red Fern Grows. Compare and contrast present day regulations to those of the early twenties.
7. Work with a friend and prepare an interview on the social issues and public sensitivities surrounding coon hunting, or perhaps any kind of hunting, today. Prepare questions to which you find answers. Role play. One of you is the interviewer and the other the hunter being interviewed. You may audio tape or video tape your interview to share with classmates.
8. Billy believes in God and prayer. List the occasions when Billy prays, asking for help. Beside each petition write the outcome/answer to...
(The entire section contains 504 words.)
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial to unlock this Where the Red Fern Grows study guide. You'll get access to all of the Where the Red Fern Grows content, as well as access to more than 30,000 additional guides and more than 350,000 Homework Help questions answered by our experts.
- Chapter Summaries
- Teaching Guide