Topics for Discussion
1. How does the conflict in this work relate to the experience of World War II?
2. What examples can you find that developing a harmonious relationship between man and animals is difficult?
3. What role does Uncle Analdas play in the animal community?
4. Explain the mixed reaction Little Georgie gets for jumping Deadman's Brook.
5. Why does Lawson take so much time dealing with life during the period of "bad folks"?
6. Explain Lawson's decision to include references to the rabbit cemetery in a work which is largely optimistic and intended to uplift the audience.
7. Discuss Tim McGrath's reference to the "new folks" having "beginner's luck."