Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Who were the troubadours, and what did they do?
2. While Eleanor knew it would be difficult to make people take pride in King John, she could grant charters that would make towns take pride in their own government. The English forced King John to sign the Magna Carta. What did that document mean to English government?
3. Eleanor concedes that Blanche of Castile, wife of Louis VI of France, was a bad mother-in-law but a good queen. What happened during her reign?
4. Falconry was a favorite sport of King Henry II. Eleanor and Thomas Becket enjoyed it, too. How is the sport practiced today?
5. What were the benefits, both spiritual and materialistic, that men hoped to accrue from going on one of the Crusades to the Holy Land?
6. Many of Eleanor's interests—tapestries, rugs, pillows, incense—stemmed from a desire for comfort. What was it like to live in a castle in medieval England?
7. Eleanor promoted a consistent system of measurement for England. On what was that system based? How does the American system differ from the British?
8. The Vexin changed hands several times during Eleanor's life. Explain the importance of this triangle of land and trace its history.
9. Write a resume for Eleanor of Aquitaine.