Chapter 2 Questions and Answers
1. Where is the Dedalus family living at the start of the chapter?
2. What does Stephen read alone in his room at night?
3. Why does Stephen not return to Clongowes in September?
4. When the family has moved back to Dublin, why does Stephen spend so much time alone?
5. Why does Stephen feel it is appropriate to entitle his poem, “To E--- C---”?
6. Where does Stephen go to school after Clongowes?
7. Why does Heron mock Byron, who Stephen says is “the best poet”?
8. What word does Stephen see carved on a desk at Queen’s College in Cork?
9. Where does Stephen get the money for his “season of pleasure”?
10. How does Stephen react to the prostitute at the end of the chapter?
1. The family has moved to Blackrock, a suburb on the coast southeast of Dublin.
2. Stephen reads a translation of The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas.
3. Stephen is...
(The entire section is 299 words.)