Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 191
1. The word "progress" in The Pilgrim's Progress means a journey, specifically Christian's and Christiana's. How do they differ? Which character seems to have the harder time? Why?
2. The narrative of The Pilgrim's Progress is interspersed with poems and hymns that may be sung. How do these songs relate to the narrative episodes that precede and follow them?
3. Choose one episode from The Pilgrim's Progress that in some way appears satirical to you. Explain what is being satirized, and then discuss how it is being satirized.
4. A knowledge of the Bible contributes to an appreciation of The Pilgrim's Progress. Look up the Sermon on the Mount (Matthew 5:1-14), choose two or three points made by Christ in this famous passage, and then write a paper showing how Bunyan develops them in The Pilgrim's Progress.
5. During his lifetime, Bunyan spent many years in prison because he would not compromise his commitment to speaking the word of God as he understood it. Look up the life of Bunyan in an encyclopedia that contains a detailed discussion of his life and character. Do you find any of his personality traits in the character of Christian?
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support