Topics for Discussion
1. What is unsatisfying about John's relationship with his parents and Lorraine's with her mother?
2. Lorraine seems more deeply attached to her mother than John does to his parents. What is the basis of Lorraine's relationship with her mother?
3. What do John and Lorraine find attractive about Mr. Pignati?
4. Norton Kelly and John hate each other even before Norton crashes John and Lorraine's party and destroys Mr. Pignati's pig figurines. Why? Why have they associated with each other previously?
5. Sometimes Mr. Pignati is described as a "baby," a "child," and a "kid," while at other times John and Lorraine describe themselves as the Pigman's children. Which, if either, is Mr. Pignati's true role, parent or child?
6. What causes Mr. Pignati's death? What is the significance of his life and death to Lorraine and John?