Last Updated on May 6, 2015, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 326
1. How far is the Convent from Ruby, and how far is Ruby from the nearest town?
Writing an essay?
Get a custom outline
Our Essay Lab can help you tackle any essay assignment within seconds, whether you’re studying Macbeth or the American Revolution. Try it today!
2. How many women are in the Convent?
3. What are the names taped above two of the bedroom doors?
4. What is one thing that the women who currently live in the Convent have in common with the nuns who once lived there?
5. What was the message on the iron door of the Oven?
6. How many horses entered the race that Ossie organized and did they all run?
7. What medal decorated the ribbon for the winner of the race?
8. Who awarded the medal to the winner of the race?
9. What did the veterans want to name the new town?
10. How long did the settlers call their new town New Haven?
1. The Convent is seventeen miles from Ruby, and Ruby is 90 miles from any other town.
2. It seems that there are no more than four women in the Convent. We know this because there are nine men, and we are told that the nine men are more than twice the number of the women.
3. The names taped above two of the bedroom doors are “Seneca” and “Divine.”
4. The women who live in the Convent now, like the nuns before them, sell the produce and barbecue sauce they grow and make.
5. The message on the iron door of the Oven is not revealed in the first chapter.
6. Ten horses entered the race that Ossie organized, but only three horses actually ran.
7. Ossie’s Purple Heart decorated the ribbon for the winner of the race.
8. The little girl with the most poppies in her hair awarded the medal to the winner of the race.
9. The veterans wanted to name the new town after the battles they were in. Those who fought in the Pacific theater suggested Guam or Inchon, whereas the ones who fought in Europe wanted names from their battlefields.
10. The settlers called their new town New Haven for three years.