Book 1 Questions and Answers
1. What is Milton’s main purpose or theme of his epic poem?
2. What is the setting of the opening scene of the poem?
3. Who is next in command to the archangel Satan?
4. What is Satan’s attitude in the beginning of the poem?
5. In what way does Milton’s enumeration of his fallen angels resemble Homer’s Iliad?
6. Who leads the fallen angels to dig for gold in Hell? Why?
7. What is the name of the temple that rose out of the ground in Hell?
8. According to Milton, what had many of the pagan gods been before the history of Man?
9. What are Milton’s basic sources for Paradise Lost?
10. What is the plan of action for the fallen angels and their leaders at the end of Book I?
1. Milton intends to “justify the ways of God to men.”
2. Satan and his angels are chained to the burning...
(The entire section is 293 words.)