Outsiders IntroductionDownload PDF
Excerpt From This Document
Inside The Outsiders
- Paul Newman- Famous Actor whose films include “Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid,” “The Road to Perdition” & “Cool Hand Luke”
- Will Rogers: Famous cowboy. Beach named after him, near Santa Monica.
What to know…….
- Savvy- know what’s up, get the picture
- Cooler- Jail
- Dig it- understand it, like it
- Lift- Steal
- Whip- Beat up
- Roll- Beat up
- Hoods- Smalltime criminals (short for hoodlums)
Some things to look for……
- Color imagery
- Relationships- family, friends, rival groups, etc.
- P.O.V.- narrator, different groups, etc.
- Identity- How do different characters define themselves?
- Ponyboy’s remarks at the end of every chapter: What purpose do they serve?
- Difference between “gangs” & “packs”
- Gender roles- How do greasers behave toward women? Why? Do they treat all women the same?
- Identity- “Don’t mind being called a greaser by another greaser (28)”
- Ponyboy’s realization about human nature/similarities between all people
- Eastside vs. Westside- why do they fight?
- Ponyboy’s home life vs. Johnny’s
- What matters to Greasers/Socs
- Cherry’s character
About this Document
A powerpoint designed to introduce students to the first 3 chapters of the novel, with an emphasis on cultural and linguistic references.