Part One, Chapters 1-2: Questions and Answers
1. Who is the narrator of the story?
2. Where was Dean Moriarty born?
3. Where do Dean and Marylou live when they first arrive in New York?
4. What is Sal’s first impression of Dean?
5. Who is Carlo Marx?
6. What does Dean wear for his trip back to Denver?
7. How does Sal describe Dean’s “criminality?”
8. Where does Remi Boncoeur live in San Francisco?
9. Where does Sal live in New Jersey?
10. What kind of shoes does Sal wear when he leaves on his trip?
1. Sal Paradise is the narrator, although he has not identified himself yet.
2. Dean was born on the road, while his parents were passing through Salt Lake City in 1926.
3. Dean and Marylou live in Spanish Harlem when they first come to New York.
4. Sal describes him as “a young Gene Autry.”
5. Sal’s friend, Carlo Marx, immediately hits it off with Dean.
6. Dean wears a Western-style business suit for his trip.
7. Sal calls Dean’s criminality a “wild yea-saying overburst of American joy”; and “something new, long prophesied, long a-coming.”
8. Remi and his girlfriend live in a shack in Mill City.
9. Sal lives at his aunt’s house in Paterson.
10. Sal wears Mexican huaraches, and they are useless in the rain.