Part Two, Chapters 1-3: Questions and Answers
1. When Sal finally meets up with Dean again, what kind of car is Dean driving?
2. Who was Dean living with in San Francisco?
3. Why did Ed Dunkel marry Galatea?
4. What record does Dean listen to at Sal’s relatives’ house?
5. How does Sal describe Dean’s laugh?
6. What does Dean call Washington politicians?
7. Who do Sal, Dean, and the others look for in Times Square?
8. Where did the children in Dakar take Carlo?
9. How long does it take for Sal and Dean to drive to Virginia?
10. Does Dean ever pay Sal’s aunt back for the fifteen dollar speeding ticket?
1. Dean is driving a mud-spattered ‘49 Hudson.
2. Camille has been Dean’s companion in San Francisco.
3. Ed marries Galatea so that she will drive to New York with him and pay most of the bills.
4. “The Hunt”, with Dexter Gordon and Wardell Gray, is the new record Sal plays.
5. He says Dean’s laugh starts low and ends high, “like the laugh of a radio maniac.”
6. He calls them “our holy American slopjaws.”
7. They look for Elmer Hassel.
8. He went to a “witch-doctor” who told him his fortune.
9. The drive to Virginia took Sal and Dean ten hours.
10. Yes, he pays her back a year and half later.