Part One, Chapters 6-8: Questions and Answers
1. What was Dean’s youthful “specialty”?
2. Where is Carlo living in Denver?
3. What did Chad King’s father do as a boy in North Dakota?
4. What does Chad’s father regret?
5. Does Roland Major think Sal is an “arty” type?
6. Who is Ray Rawlins?
7. How does Camille feel about Carlo Marx?
8. What is Dean wearing when Sal meets him at the rooming house?
9. What does Carlo Marx’s basement apartment look like?
10. What is the name of the poem Carlo reads to Sal?
1. Dean’s specialty was stealing cars and then “gunning for” girls and taking them to the mountains.
2. Carlo lives in a basement apartment on Grant Street.
3. He rode ponies bareback and chased coyotes with a club.
4. Chad’s father regrets not hiring a lawyer to sue a big firm in the East for stealing one of his inventions.
5. Sal says Roland considers him to be the “farthest thing from an arty type.”
6. Ray Rawlins is Sal’s friend and Tim Gray’s boyhood buddy.
7. She hates Carlo for interfering in her relationship with Dean.
8. He is “stark naked.”
9. Sal says it looks like “the room of a Russian saint.”
10. Carlo reads a poem called “Denver Doldrums.”