Part One, Chapters 3-5: Questions and Answers
1. What does Sal call the music he listens to in Chicago?
2. What does Sal suspect about Eddie?
3. How does the Cowboy feel about Nebraska?
4. What kind of work does the carnival owner offer Sal and Eddie?
5. What kind of vehicle does Eddie go off in when he leaves Sal?
6. What does Sal buy in North Platte?
7. How do the “range lands” look to Sal?
8. Where is Mississippi Gene going?
9. What does Montana Slim send to his father?
10. After Sal spends the last of his money in Cheyenne, how does he feel?
1. Bop is the name of the music Sal hears in Chicago.
2. Sal suspects that Eddie is on the run from the law.
3. The cowboy hates Nebraska and has moved to Missoula, Montana.
4. He asks them if they would like to operate a roulette and a wooden-ring concession.
5. Eddie goes off in a “weird, crazy” homemade aluminum trailer.
6. Sal buys a bottle of whiskey.
7. Sal describes the range lands as “long flat wastelands of sand and sagebrush.”
8. Mississippi Gene is going to Ogden, Utah.
9. Montana Slim sends his father a postcard from Cheyenne.
10. He’s angry and disgusted with himself.