Part One, Chapters 11-12: Questions and Answers
1. What does Remi tell Sal to do in the note he leaves on the door of the shack?
2. What does Remi want Sal to write?
3. What did Sledge and the old cop do to the drunk in Barrack G?
4. What is Remi’s favorite expression?
5. What does Sal do with most of the money he makes working as a special policeman?
6. What does Remi want to take from the rusty, old freighter?
7. Where does Remi take his stepfather to eat?
8. What’s wrong with the blond boy who gives Sal a ride?
9. Where is the trailer salesman from?
10. Why does Terry become suspicious of Sal in the hotel room?
1. Remi tells Sal to climb into the shack through the window.
2. Remi wants Sal to write an original story for Hollywood.
3. They beat him up and arrested him.
4. “You can’t teach the old maestro a new tune.”
5. He sends it to his aunt in New Jersey.
6. He scavenges for copper, but he doesn’t find any.
7. Remi takes everyone out to Alfred’s, a restaurant in North Beach.
8. He just had his toe amputated.
9. The salesman is from Lubbock, Texas.
10. She gets angry because he talks about another woman, a six-foot redhead named Dorie.