Topics for Discussion
1. Discuss the baseball imagery in the book. What does the "great Dimaggio" symbolize? What does the "bone spur" symbolize?
2. When Santiago was a boy, he saw "lions on the beaches" in Africa. What do these lions symbolize? Why does he dream about Africa and the lions every night?
3. What is the difference, according to Santiago, between those who think of the sea as "la mar" and those who speak of it as "el mar"?
4. Discuss some of the things Santiago knows about nature, and the details he reads in the behavior of the birds and fish. How did he learn these things?
5. When Santiago catches the albacore, he...
(The entire section is 218 words.)