Chapter 1 Questions and Answers
1. When George and Lennie approach the river, why does George warn Lennie not to drink too much water?
2. What has George told Lennie about that he always remembers even when he forgets everything else?
3. Why does Lennie have a dead mouse in his pocket?
4. Why does George order Lennie not to talk when they get to the ranch?
5. What happened to all of the mice that Lennie’s Aunt Clara gave him?
6. Why have George and Lennie run away from Weed?
7. What does Lennie want to eat with his beans?
8. Why does George say that migrant workers who travel from farm to farm are the loneliest people in the world?
9. What dream do George and Lennie share?
10. What does George tell Lennie to do if he gets in trouble at their new job site?
1. George says Lennie will be sick like he was the night before.
2. Lennie always remembers that he will be the one to tend the rabbits on their dream farm.
3. He is carrying it in his pocket so he can pet it as they walk. He likes to pet soft things.
4. George says that if the boss hears Lennie talk before he sees Lennie work, the two men won’t have a chance of getting the job.
5. He killed the mice by petting them too hard.
6. Lennie tried to feel a girl’s dress. He wanted to pet the dress but she thought he was attacking her.
7. Lennie wants ketchup to put on his beans.
8. He says migrant workers are lonely because they don’t have any family, they don’t belong anywhere, and they have nothing to look forward to.
9. They share the dream of buying a small farm together and working it. On this farm Lennie will tend the rabbits and pet them whenever he wants.
10. George tells Lennie to come to this spot where they are camping and hide in the bushes until George comes for him.