Chapter 2 Questions and Answers
Last Updated on October 26, 2018, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 282
1. Where do the ranch hands keep their personal belongings such as soap, razors and magazines?
2. Candy, the old swamper who shows George and Lennie to their bunks, is missing what limb?
3. What evidence does the old swamper give that the ranch boss is a “pretty nice fella”?
4. What evidence is there that the boss is not a working man?
5. According to the old swamper, what is Curley good at?
6. According to the old swamper, why does Curley wear a work glove on his left hand?
7. What is the general attitude toward Curley’s wife?
8. Describe Slim, the jerkline skinner.
9. Why does Carlson suggest shooting Candy’s dog?
10. What is the understood question that Lennie wants George to ask Slim?
1. Each ranch hand keeps his personal items in the apple box nailed over his bunk for that purpose.
2. Candy, the old swamper, is missing a hand.
3. Candy says that the boss brought a whole gallon of whiskey to the men in the bunkhouse for Christmas.
4. The boss wears high-heeled boots and spurs.
5. Candy says Curley is good at boxing.
6. Candy says Curley wears the work glove full of Vaseline to keep his hand soft for his new wife.
7. The men think she is flirting with them. Candy calls her a tart; George calls her a tramp. Lennie thinks she is pretty.
8. Slim is a master craftsman. He is an expert with the mules and his authority is respected more than anyone else’s on the ranch.
9. Carlson suggests shooting Candy’s dog because it is so old and it stinks.
10. Lennie wants George to ask Slim if Lennie can have one of the puppies Slim’s dog has just delivered.