Of Mice and Men - Chapter IIIDownload PDF
Excerpt From This Document
Reading Guide: Chapter III
I. Figurative Language and Stylistic Devices (4M/7A) - Read the following excerpts from the novel and determine what figure of speech or stylistic device is being used.
- George looked over at Slim and saw the calm, God - like eyes fastened on him.
- “So he reaches out to feel this red dress an’ the girl lets out a squawk…”
- “I can tell a mean guy a mile off.”
- He walked heavily on his heels, as though he carried the invisible grain bag.
- Curley was flopping like a fish.
- Carlson’s footsteps died away.
- It [silence] came out of the night and invaded the room.
II. Vocabulary -Read the sentences below and write the definition of each underlined word. Use a dictionary to check yourself.
- Now and then the sound of voices raised in approval or derision.
- Slim neither encouraged nor discouraged him. He just sat back quiet and receptive.
- George put down his cards very deliberately.
- Lennie held out his hands pleadingly. “Give ‘em to me, George!”
III. Characterization- Read the quotations below. Determine who is being described and if it is direct or indirect characterization.
- “He’ll want to sleep right out in the barn with them. We’ll have trouble keeping him from getting right in the box with them pups.”
- [He] looked a long time at Slim to try to find some reversal. And Slim gave none.
- The door opened and [he] put in his head: a lean negro head, lined with pain, the eyes patient.
- “I don’t care if you’re the best welter in the country. You come for me an’ I’ll kick your [damn] head in!”
IV. Plot Details
- Why did Lennie and George have to leave Weed?
- To whom does George tell this story?
- What happens to Candy’s dog?
- Who wants to go in with George and Lennie on their dream ranch?
- What does Candy think he should have done about his dog?
- Why does Curley attack Lennie in the bunk?
- What does Lennie do to Curley?
- What story does Slim make up in order to protect Lennie?
About this Document
Reading guide that includes multiple choice and short answer questions.