Oedipus at Colonus Lines 525 – 1,192 Questions and Answers
1. What ceremony does the Leader of the Chorus explain to Oedipus?
2. How does Oedipus react when the Leader finishes explaining the ceremony?
3. What do Ismene and Antigone say after their father speaks to the Leader about the ceremony?
4. Why does the Chorus want Oedipus to recite the details of his life?
5. Why does Oedipus yield to the curiosity of the Chorus when the men press him for the details of his life?
6. Why does Theseus offer protection and the full rights of citizenship to Oedipus?
7. What gift does Oedipus promise to Theseus?
8. Why is Creon searching for Oedipus?
9. Why does Creon seize Ismene and Antigone?
10. Why will Creon be Theseus’ prisoner until the women are returned?
1. The Leader of the Chorus explains to Oedipus how to make an offering to the Eumenides, the goddesses whose sacred grove has been trod upon.
2. When the Leader finishes explaining the ceremony, Oedipus says that he is too old and weak to perform the rituals. He asks Ismene and Antigone if one of them could take his place.
3. Ismene says that she will gather what the goddesses require and she will perform the rites. She tells Antigone to stay and watch over their father, and Antigone makes no protest.
4. The Chorus wants Oedipus to recite the details of...
(The entire section is 429 words.)