Oedipus at Colonus Lines 1,646 – 2,001 Questions and Answers
1. Why does Oedipus want Theseus summoned when the thunder peals?
2. How does the Chorus react to the thunder and lightning?
3. How does Theseus react to the weather?
4. What preparations does Oedipus ask his daughters to make?
5. Why does Oedipus whisper his final words to Theseus alone?
6. What does the Messenger see?
7. Why won’t Theseus tell Antigone and Ismene where their father’s tomb is?
8. Why does Antigone ask Theseus to help her and Ismene get back to Thebes?
9. Why does Theseus say that he will help the sisters?
10. What awaits the women in Thebes?
1. Oedipus wants Theseus summoned when the thunder peals because that is a sign from the gods that the end is near, and Oedipus wants to keep his promise to the king.
2. The Chorus reacts to the thunder and lightning with awe and prayers.
3. Theseus reacts to the weather by asking Oedipus what must be done.
4. Oedipus asks his daughters to gather water for him so that he may bathe and make an offering.
5. Oedipus whispers his final words to Theseus alone because only Theseus can know the location of the grave that will be the kingdom’s strongest shield.
6. The Messenger sees Oedipus vanish.
7. Theseus won’t tell Antigone and Ismene where their father’s tomb is because the location must be kept secret.
8. Antigone asks Theseus to help her and Ismene get back to Thebes because she wants to prevent their brothers from killing each other.
9. Theseus says that he will help the sisters because it is his duty, which he must honor.
10. An uncertain fate awaits the women in Thebes. Their brothers are under a dreadful curse from their father, and their uncle, Creon, has already shown himself to be unstable and power-mad.