Book 8 Questions and Answers
1. What entertainment do the Phaeaceans find at Alcinoös’ feast?
2. What task is undertaken by Alcinoös’ herald throughout Book VIII?
3. What is the first story told by Demodocus?
4. What is Odysseus’ reaction to Demodocus’ tales of Troy?
5. Why is Odysseus annoyed while at the athletic field?
6. What action is taken by Odysseus to disprove Euryalus’ accusatory insults?
7. How does Hephaestus learn about his wife’s lewd conduct?
8. How does he confirm his suspicions?
9. Which of Demodocus’ characters sympathizes most with the adulterous gods’ imprisonment?
10. At the end of Book VIII, what does Alcinoös demand of Odysseus?
1. The Phaeaceans are entertained by Demodocus’ singing.
2. He cares for Demodocus’ needs.
3. Demodocus tells of a quarrel between Odysseus and Achilles.
4. He weeps secretly.
5. Euryalus insults him.
6. He throws a discus an amazing distance.
7. Helius informs him of his wife’s lewd conduct.
8. He sets a trap in his bed.
9. Poseidon is the most sympathetic.
10. Alcinoös demands of Odysseus that he reveal his identity to the assembled Phaeaceans.