Book 12 Questions and Answers
1. What aid does Circe lend Odysseus before he departs from Aeaea?
2. How do Odysseus’ men become immune to the Sirens’ singing?
3. Why is Odysseus tied to the mast?
4. What choice must Odysseus make when passing though the perilous sea cliffs?
5. What decision does he make?
6. In what way does Odysseus ignore Circe’s advice concerning Scylla?
7. Why does Odysseus stop on Thrinacea, despite the many warnings he has been given?
8. Where is he when his men devour the cattle of Helius?
9. In what way does Helius coerce Zeus to punish Odysseus’ men?
10. Why does Odysseus end his story with his arrival on Calypso’s isle?
1. She gives him advice concerning the Sirens, Scylla and Charybdis, and the isle Thrinacea.
2. Odysseus plugs their ears with beeswax.
3. Odysseus is tied to the mast so that he may safely listen to the Sirens’ singing.
4. He must choose to encounter either Scylla or Charybdis.
5. He chooses to face Scylla.
6. He prepares to battle the monster.
7. Eurylochus demands the crew be permitted to rest and eat on shore.
8. He is away on a retreat imploring the aid of the gods.
9. Helius threatens to transfer his light to the Underworld.
10. He had previously told Alcinoös and Arete the rest of the story from Calypso’s isle to the present.