Topics for Discussion
1. Why does Mrs. Rosen tell Annemarie that "it is important to be one of the crowd, always"? Can you think of any times when this advice is not valid?
2. Why is Annemarie so upset that the Nazis have been in her country for three years and still cannot speak her language?
3. Why do Uncle Henrik and Mrs. Johansen pretend that their Great-Aunt Birte has died?
4. How does Uncle Henrik explain bravery to Annemarie? Do you agree with his definition?
5. Why do Peter, the Johansens, and Uncle Henrik risk their own lives to save their Jewish friends?