Night: Study Guide
- Release Date: February 12, 2019
- Subjects: Language Arts
- Age Levels: Grade 11
Never shall I forget that night ... that nocturnal silence which deprived me, for all eternity, of the desire to live ... the moments which murdered my God and my soul ... Never shall I forget these things if I am condemned to live as long as God himself. Never." (Wiesel, Night, 43)
Section 1: Pages 13-31
- Describe Moshe the Beadle.
- Describe Elie Wiesel’s father. What was his occupation?
- Why was Moshe the Beadle important to Elie Wiesel?
- Summarize the story Moshe the Beadle told on his return from being deported. Why did he say he had returned to Sighet?
- What was the public reaction to Moshe’s story?
- What was the setting and the year for the first section of the book? What was the world condition at the time?
- Describe, in order, the events that happened from the last day of Passover until Pentecost.
- How did Wiesel say he felt about the Hungarian police?
- Who was Martha? What happened when she visited the Wiesel family in the ghetto?
Sections 2-3: Pages 32-54
- To what did Wiesel compare the world?
- What did Madame Schachter see in her vision?
- How did the other people in the car react to Madame Schachter?
- Where did the train stop?
- What did the Jews in the train car discover when they looked out the window?
- When did Wiesel say the travelers left their illusions behind?
- Which notorious SS officer did they meet at Auschwitz?
- What was Elie’s main thought as the men and women were being herded from the train?
- What prayer were the people saying? What was it unusual?
- What did Elie do when the gypsy struck his father? Why? What was his father’s response?
- How long were Elie and his father at Auschwitz? Where did they go after that?
Section 4: Pages 55-72
- Describe Elie’s encounter with the dentist.
- What did Elie Wiesel do when Idek hit his father? What was he thinking?
- Who took Elie’s gold tooth? Why did Elie give it up?
- What were the only things in which Elie took an interest?
- How did Elie describe the men after the air raid?
- What happened to the young man from Warsaw? Why?
- How did Elie say the soup tasted the night the pipel (young servant boy) was hanged?
Section 5: Pages 73-90
- What did the men do on the eve of Rosh Hashanah?
- How did Elie feel while the others were praying?
- What was Elie’s decision about fasting on Yom Kippur? Why did he make that decision?
- What Elie’s “inheritance” from his father? Why was his father giving it to him?
- Did the men remember to say the Kaddish for Akiba Drumer?
- What did Elie dream of when he dreamed of a better world?
- What happened to the patients who stayed in the hospital instead of being evacuated?
- What was the last thing the head of the block ordered the men to do before they evacuated?
- What was the weather like during the evacuation?
Detailed study guide for the entire memoir.