Night Comprehensive Test
- Release Date: February 12, 2019
- Age Levels: Grade 10
Read each passage below. On the line following each passage, briefly explain what is ironic about the meaning of the passage. (4 points each, 20 points total)
- “But we had been marching only a few moments when we saw the barbed wire of another camp. An iron door with this inscription over it: ‘Work is liberty!’” (page 38)
- “Some prominent members of the community came….to ask him what he thought of the situation. My father did not consider it so grim…’The yellow star? Oh well, what of it? You don’t die of it….’” (page 9)
- “The SS gave us a fine New Year’s gift….And soon a terrible word was circulating—selection.” (page 66)
- “On we went between the electric wires. At each step, a white placard with a death’s head on it stared us in the face. A caption: ‘Warning. Danger of death.’” (page 37)
- “I’ve got more faith in Hitler than in anyone else. He’s the only one who’s kept his promises, all his promises, to the Jewish people.” (page 77)
Match each quote with the correct character. There are more characters than quotes. (3points each, 15 points total)
_______ 1. “I am alone. But I wanted to come back to warn you. Only no one is listening to me…”
_______ 2. “Jews listen to me! I can see a fire! There are huge flames! It is a furnace!”
_______ 3. “Where is He? Here He is- He is hanging here on this gallows…”
_______ 4. “Me too….me too…! They told me to stay behind in the camp.”
_______ 5. “I hadn’t any strength left for running. And my son didn’t notice. That’s all I know. Where has he disappeared? Where can I find him?”
A. Eliezer Wiesel
B. Chlomo Wiesel
C. Moshe the Beadle
D. Madame Schachter
E. Tzipora Wiesel
F. Idek the Kapo
G. Akiba Drumer
H. Rabbi Eliahou
Mark “T” if the answer is true, & “F” if the answer is false. (3 points each, 15 points total)
- Elie had to lie about his age & occupation or he would have been separated from his father.
- Elie’s mother and younger sister survive the prison camps.
- Selection required that the prisoners stand at attention and be inspected by several SS officers.
- The other boys in camp take special care of their fathers just as Elie does.
- Many Jewish families did not flee Hungary because they thought it was already too late.
A 50 point test which includes matching, multiple choice, and short answer questions.