Never Let Me Go Characters
The main characters in Never Let Me Go are Kathy, Tommy, Ruth, Miss Geraldine, Miss Lucy, Chrissie, Rodney, and Madame.
- Kathy is a "carer" who lives in a dystopian world where clones are bred and raised to provide organ donations to non-clones.
- Tommy is Kathy's classmate, with whom she falls in love.
- Ruth is another of Kathy's classmates. Ruth and Tommy begin dating prior to Ruth's "completion."
- Miss Geraldine and Miss Lucy are two of the guardians at Hailsham.
- Chrissie and Rodney are two veterans of the Cottages.
- Madame is the woman who selects student artwork to exhibit at the Gallery.
Kathy works as a "carer," a clone who cares for other clones once they begin donating their organs. In the backstory, she's raised and educated at a special boarding school called Hailsham, where she becomes friends with Ruth and Tommy. Kathy later becomes Tommy's carer and watches him "complete," or give his final donation.
Tommy grows up with Kathy and Ruth at Hailsham. In school, he's an excellent student, but a poor artist, and is often teased because of his lack of artistic talent. He has a long-term but complicated relationship with Ruth while at Hailsham and the Cottages. Later, he dates Kathy, who becomes his carer.
Ruth attends Hailsham with Kathy and Tommy. Ruth is perhaps the most social of the three, and she distances herself from Kathy and Tommy as the novel progresses. Later, she admits to dating Tommy just to keep him and Kathy apart. Of the three friends, Ruth dies first.
Miss Geraldine, one of the guardians at Hailsham. She's the preferred confidante of the younger children and is generally considered the most sympathetic of the...
(The entire section is 333 words.)