Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 79
1. Read Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy (1925), or read critiques about that novel, and compare it to Native Son.
2. When Wright moved to Chicago, he worked for the American Communist party. Research the growth and beliefs of the party in America during the 1930s.
3. Explain Wright's concept of "destiny" as it shapes the lives of Bigger, Jan Erlone and Boris Max.
4. Explain Wright's use of irony and symbols.
5. Compare the character and destinies of Bigger and his girlfriend, Bessie Mears.