Book 1: Fear Questions and Answers
1. Where and during what time in American history does the novel take place?
2. Who are the Thomases, and where and how do they live?
3. Who are the Daltons, and where and how do they live?
4. What job does Mr. Dalton offer Bigger?
5. What is one of the sources of Mr. Dalton’s wealth?
6. What views toward African Americans does Mr. Dalton profess to hold?
7. Why does Mary Dalton make Bigger so uncomfortable?
8. Who is Jan Erlone, and what is his political affiliation and philosophy?
9. Why do Jan and Mary try so hard to befriend Bigger, and why is Bigger reluctant to accept their friendship?
10. Why does Bigger plan to implicate Jan in Mary’s death?
1. The novel is set in Chicago, in the late 1930s, during the Great Depression. It is a time of great poverty in America, and much social unrest.
2. The Thomases are an African-American family. Mrs. Thomas lives with her sons Bigger and Buddy, and her daughter Vera, in a one-room tenement apartment in Chicago’s South Side ghetto. The family is very poor, and is on relief (welfare).
3. The Daltons are a rich white family; Henry and Mrs. Dalton live in a mansion in the wealthy part of town, with Mary, their only child, and several servants.
4. Bigger is offered and accepts the job of Dalton family chauffeur. He is...
(The entire section is 517 words.)