Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. The Nancy Drew mysteries were originally written over a period of more than fifty years. During that time there were changes in public attitudes toward violence. Are these changes reflected in the kinds of cases Nancy solves and the amount of violence she encounters?
2. How do Nancy's behavior and attitudes change over the course of the series? Do these changes indicate any important changes in Nancy's character or personality?
3. Bess and George are important assistants in most of Nancy's cases. What does each girl add to the stories? Does the fact that they are described as cousins suggest that there are some subtle similarities between the two? In what ways is Nancy like each of her friends? In what ways is she different?
4. Ned Nickerson also appears in most of the Nancy Drew mysteries. Are his personality and attitudes different in different books? What emotions does Nancy seem to feel toward him? Are these emotions different in different books?
5. Many of Nancy's adventures take place in settings that are unfamiliar to the average reader. Research some of these locales and evaluate the novels' descriptions.