Book II, Chapters 1-8 Questions and Answers
1. Why does Grandfather Burden become a deacon of the church?
2. What became Jim’s “compensation” for his lost freedom?
3. How did Ambrosch Shimerda take advantage of Antonia’s reputation as a hard worker?
4. Why does Jim consider Frances Harling so important?
5. Why doesn’t Antonia want to give all of her allowance to Ambrosch?
6. Why did Mr. Harling take Mrs. Harling away to their room on the west wing?
7. What is the significance of the traveling salesmen?
8. What is the significance of the altercation between Lena Lingard and Crazy Mary?
9. How are Antonia and Mrs. Harling similar?
10. What is the...
(The entire section is 207 words.)