Part I, Chapter Seven: Questions and Answers
1. How did Br’er Rabbit ruin Br’er Dog’s voice?
2. Why do the rabbits decide to drown themselves, and what prevents them from doing it?
3. How far was the walk to the lake?
4. Why doesn’t John shoot the deer with Old Massa’s gun?
5. How “bad” is the gun of Larkins White?
6. Explain how gophers were created, according to the folktale.
7. How did butterflies get their name?
8. According to the superstition, killing a cat results in how many years of bad luck?
9. What does Jim Allen say that makes Big Sweet so upset?
10. What is special about the hog, according to Jim Allen?
(The entire section is 455 words.)