Part 8 Questions and Answers
1. According to Peter’s experiences, what happened to one’s views about women after coming back from India?
2. What are two of the changes that Peter sees in England in the five years he’s been away?
3. In which city is Sally living with her rich husband, much to Peter’s surprise?
4. About which antediluvian (ancient) topic does Peter remember Sally and Hugh arguing about at Bourton?
5. What does Peter envision Hugh doing in his job at Court?
6. How much does Peter assume that Hugh earns per year?
7. How much does Peter assume that he must earn per year?
8. What specific event at Bourton summarizes Peter’s feelings about Richard?
9. What does Peter remember Sally doing in the garden?
10. Whom does Peter blame for the death of Sylvia, Clarissa’s sister?
1. According to Peter’s experiences, one fell in love with every woman one met after coming back from India.
2. Two of the changes that Peter sees in England in the five
years he’s been away are that people now write about water-closets (bathrooms) in respectable public print, and that young women now apply their makeup in public.
3. Much to Peter’s surprise, Sally is living in Manchester with her rich husband.
4. Peter remembers Sally and Hugh arguing about women’s rights at Bourton.
5. Peter envisions Hugh polishing Imperial shoebuckles in his job at Court.
6. Peter assumes that Hugh earns five to ten thousand pounds per year.
7. Peter assumes that, with Daisy with him, he must earn at least five hundred pounds per year.
8. The specific event that summarizes Peter’s feelings about Richard is of the latter tending to Clarissa’s dog, whose paw was badly torn in a trap.
9. Peter remembers Sally tearing a rose in the garden, and admiring the beauty of cabbage leaves.
10. Peter blames Clarissa’s father, Justin Parry, for the death of Clarissa’s sister, Sylvia.