Part 17 Questions and Answers
1. What is Lucy’s reaction to seeing Elizabeth dressed for the party?
2. What has Mr. Dalloway sent for from the Emperor’s cellars?
3. How does Clarissa greet everyone at the party?
4. Is Peter pleased that he came to the party?
5. What is the minor gesture that reassures Clarissa about the party?
6. What is the main thing that makes Ellie Henderson afraid and nervous?
7. How are Ellie and Clarissa related?
8. What do the guests feel as they see the Prime Minister enter?
9. What does Clarissa say that she would like to have had at the party?
10. What does Lady Bruton feel that Richard Dalloway’s marriage cost him?
1. Seeing Elizabeth looking so lovely, Lucy couldn’t take her eyes off her.
2. Mr. Dalloway has sent for tokay (a variety of brandy) from the Emperor’s cellars.
3. Clarissa greets everyone at the party with “how delightful to see you!”
4. No, Peter is not pleased that he came to the party. He tells himself he should have stayed in and read, or gone to the music hall.
5. The minor gesture that reassures Clarissa about the party is when someone pushes a curtain that billowed with air.
6. The main thing that makes Ellie Henderson afraid is living on three hundred pounds a year.
7. Ellie and Clarissa are cousins. Even so, Ellie understands that Clarissa might not have wanted to invite her to the party.
8. As they see the Prime Minister enter, the guests feel the pride and comfort of seeing a symbol of majesty.
9. Clarissa says she would like to have had dancing at the party.
10. Lady Bruton feels that Richard Dalloway’s marriage cost him a chance for the cabinet.