Chapters 43-47 Questions and Answers
1. Who, other than Archy, suspects stowaways are on board?
2. What problem has the departure date of the Pequod posed for Ahab?
3. What often forced Ahab from his hammock at night?
4. Who are Don Miguel and New Zealand Jack?
5. What proof does Ishmael offer that the public is unaware of the dangers of whaling?
6. What happened to the Essex?
7. How does Ishmael know the story of the Essex?
8. Why must Ahab hunt other whales even though killing Moby Dick is his real purpose?
9. Who weaves the mat?
10. Where have the five phantoms been seen before?
1. Archy says he heard Stubb tell Flask something about it.
2. Ahab has to wait another year before it will again be the Season-on-the-Line.
3. Ahab was plagued by horrible dreams.
4. They are two of the many famous whales who have earned names.
5. Not one in fifty of the fatalities is reported because communication is so slow.
6. A big sperm whale rammed the Essex and sank her.
7. Ishmael knew the chief mate and the son of her captain.
8. Ahab could be charged with usurpation of the ship and his crew could legally take away his command.
9. Ishmael and Queequeg weave the mat.
10. Ishmael saw the phantoms board the Pequod in Nantucket.