Prelude and Book One: Miss Brooke Questions and Answers
Prelude and Chapters 1-6
1. What is the reason Celia wants to divide their deceased mother's jewelry with Dorothea?
2. Who are the guests at dinner?
3. What gift does Chettam bring Dorothea?
4. What does Brooke bring Dorothea from his visit to Casaubon?
5. For what purpose does Casaubon want to marry Dorothea?
6. What is Dorothea's reason for marrying Casaubon?
7. What attempts does Brooke make to dissuade Dorothea from her decision?
8. In what way does Dorothea respond to Casaubon's proposal?
9. In what manner does Chettam express his dismay at Dorothea's engagement?
10. Why is Mrs. Cadwallader so disappointed in Dorothea's choice?
1. Celia would like to wear some of the jewelry left to her and her sister by their mother. Certain pieces would now be acceptable even to the most religious people. At Dorothea's request, they put the jewelry box away, upon receiving it, six months ago.
2. Brooke's dinner guests at Tipton Grange are to be Chettam- young baronet and neighbor who is in love with Dorothea and Casaubon, Brooke's old friend and near contemporary.
3. Chettam brings Dorothea a small, white Maltese puppy. She suggests he give the puppy to Celia.
4. Brooke brings some religious pamphlets, a letter to Dorothea, and a marriage proposal from his...
(The entire section is 445 words.)