Part 2, Division 1: Questions and Answers
1. Why doesn’t Gregor drink the milk his sister leaves for him?
2. Why does the household maid ask Mrs. Samsa to let her go?
3. Where does Gregor like to hide?
4. Who has assumed major responsibility for Gregor’s life?
5. Why did Gregor become a traveling salesman?
6. How do the Samsa’s expect to live now that their son’s source of income is lost?
7. Why is Gregor so intent on sending his sister to the conservatory to study music?
8. In what ways are Gregor’s physical powers declining?
9. How has Grete’s attitude and behavior toward Gregor changed?
10. Why does Grete want to remove most of the furniture from Gregor’s room?
1. Gregor finds it hard to eat anything with the soreness and tenderness in his side, and the sight of the milk only repulses him, even though it has always been his favorite drink.
2. The maid wants to leave the Samsa household because she no longer wants to work in the same apartment where there is a repulsive creature living.
3. Gregor likes to hide under the sofa in his room because it is a safe place and gives him some protection from the outside world.
4. Grete has assumed the major task of caring for Gregor.
5. Gregor became a traveling salesman after his father’s business failed.
6. Mr. Samsa made some investments while he was in business, and the Samsa’s can expect to live off...
(The entire section is 405 words.)