Book IX: Questions and Answers
1. How would you characterize the tone of Ovid in the tale of Achelous’ wrestling match with Hercules?
2. Why did Hercules laugh when Achelous changed into a serpent and a bull?
3. What Christian scriptural passage is sometimes believed to be echoed by Hercules’ despairing comment, “And men can still believe / In gods!” Why does he say this?
4. How does Jove at last try to make up to his son for all the sufferings he had to endure? What is Juno’s reaction?
5. How did Juno try to prevent the birth of Hercules? How was she circumvented?
6. Which earlier tales are recalled by the metamorphoses of Lotis and Dryope?
(The entire section is 422 words.)