Questions and Answers: Chapters 14-15
1. How has Varenukha’s appearance changed?
2. What interrupts the dead woman?
3. Who are the members of the audience in Bosoy’s dream?
4. What was Dunchil hiding in his mistress’ apartment?
5. What does the artist say about the human eye?
1. Varenukha now has a pale, chalk-like pallor on his face, and his eyes display furtiveness and cowardliness.
2. The crowing of a cock in the garden interrupts the dead woman.
3. All the members of the audience are bearded men.
4. Dunchil was hiding “Eighteen thousand dollars and a necklace worth forty thousand in gold.”
5. The artist says the human eye cannot conceal the truth.