Chapter 9 Questions and Answers
1. In Simon’s secret place, which source of food do the flies prefer?
2. Where does Simon decide to go?
3. What does Simon do to the figure on the mountainside?
4. Who suggests Ralph and Piggy should go to the party?
5. How is it that Ralph and Piggy’s awkward presence at the party is accepted?
6. What does Jack declare about the conch to Ralph?
7. What is the weather like toward the end of the party?
8. What chant do the boys sing as they dance?
9. Who emerges from the jungle with the secret of the beast?
10. What scares the boys and sends them scattering?
1. The flies prefer the pig’s blood to the blood from Simon’s nose.
2. Simon decides to travel to the mountain and look into the face of the beast.
3. Simon frees the parachutist’s lines from the rock.
4. Piggy suggests that he and Ralph join Jack’s party.
5. The boys all laugh at Piggy and that breaks the tension.
6. Jack declares he will no longer obey the conch.
7. The weather becomes threatening: rain, thunder, and lightning.
8. The boys chant, “Kill the beast! Cut his throat! Spill his blood!”
9. Simon emerges from the jungle and is killed before he can reveal the secret of the beast.
10. The boys scatter at the sight of the dead parachutist “walking” along the treetops as he is carried by the wind.