Chapter 2 Questions and Answers
1. Where does Ralph get the idea for using the conch to speak?
2. Why is Jack so enthusiastic about the possibility of creating rules?
3. Which boy pessimistically introduces the reality that they may never be rescued?
4. Who first mentions “the beastie”?
5. Who is the last to join the boys on the mountain to make a fire?
6. How do the boys start the fire?
7. How does the fire become uncontrollable?
8. Who defends Piggy from Jack for not helping with the fire?
9. How does Piggy first notice a boy is missing, even though he doesn’t know his name?
10. What causes the drum-roll sound the boys hear in the fire?
1. Ralph’s idea for order came from his school back home.
2. Jack is excited at the prospect of enforcing the rules.
3. Roger, the “dark boy,” first suggests this pessimistic notion.
4. “The beastie” is first mentioned by the small boy with the mulberry-colored birthmark
5. Piggy is the last to join the fire makers.
6. The boys start the fire with Piggy’s glasses.
7. The fire quickly spreads when sparks from it ignite the surrounding jungle.
8. Simon defends Piggy.
9. Piggy doesn’t see the boy with the mulberry-colored birthmark.
10. The drum-roll sound is caused by live trees exploding from the heat of the fire.