Ideas for Reports and Papers
1. Explore the history of Native Americans by reading a book like Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown. Based on history, why should Native Americans be critical of white America?
2. Research the place of dancing in Native American culture, at powwows, ceremonials, etc. Focus on one area, such as the American Northwest, or one group of Native Americans such as the Pueblo Indians. How did dancing function in the traditional culture? Today?
3. Investigate a social problem that often exists on the reservation today—alcoholism or unemployment, for example. What do the statistics tell? What are the reported causes, and what are some possible solutions?
4. Read several of Sherman Alexie's poems, and compare them, in language and theme, to the short stories in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven.
5. Find out about the storytelling tradition in Native American culture. Locate and describe one traditional story from Native America, such as a story about...
(The entire section is 312 words.)