Questions and Answers: Because My Father Always Said He was the only Indian who saw Jimi Hendrix Play ‘The Star Spangled Banner’ at Woodstock and This is What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona
1. Which role does music play in Victor’s childhood?
2. Why does Victor agree to accept help from Thomas, and how is his decision significant to “This is What it Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona”?
3. How are Victor’s and Thomas’s attitudes toward their Native American identity different?
4. To what extent are these attitudes changed or resolved by the end of these stories?
5. How do childhood memories affect the meaning of both stories?
1. Experience of music brings the family together despite the conflicts that often divide them. Victor associates Jimi Hendrix’s music in particular with moments of connection or understanding that he shared with his father.
2. Victor agrees to help Thomas after remembering a scene from their childhood. His decision indicates that the friendship will be rekindled,...
(The entire section is 264 words.)