Last Updated on July 29, 2019, by eNotes Editorial. Word Count: 126
1. Why does Miss Moore take the children to a posh Fifth Avenue toy store?
Writing an essay?
Get a custom outline
Our Essay Lab can help you tackle any essay assignment within seconds, whether you’re studying Macbeth or the American Revolution. Try it today!
2. What is the lesson Miss Moore is attempting to teach?
3. Why does Miss Moore refuse to tell the children what her point had been?
4. What is the effect of the children's use of vulgar language in the story?
5. How do Sugar and Sylvia react differently to the lesson?
6. Discuss the other children in the story. Are they presented as individuals?
7. What do you think Miss Moore's motives are in spending time with the children?
8. How is Miss Moore different from the other women in the neighborhood?
9. Compare how Bambara would describe Miss Moore with some of Sylvia's descriptions of her.
10. Discuss Sylvia's last words. What are various ways to interpret these remarks?