Act I, Scene 3: Questions and Answers
1. Where is the scene set?
2. What arrangement have Goneril and Regan made for the care of their father, the king?
3. Where has King Lear gone at the beginning of the scene?
4. What kind of servant is Oswald?
5. What does Goneril instruct Oswald to do in order to anger the king?
6. Why does Goneril pretend to be sick?
7. Where does Goneril plan to tell her father to go if he does not like it at her palace?
8. Why does Goneril decide to write to her sister?
9. What is the significance of the father/daughter relationship in this scene?
10. What would an Elizabethan audience of Shakespeare’s day have thought of Goneril’s attitude toward her father?
1. It is set in the palace of the Duke of Albany.
(The entire section is 254 words.)