Download The Killers Study Guide
- Raymond Carver is just one modern writer who was influenced by Hemingway’s style. Carver’s collection of stories Cathedral (1983) was nominated for the National Book Critics Circle Award and was runner-up for the Pulitzer Prize.
- Hemingway chronicles the life of Nick Adams, who appears in ‘‘The Killers,’’ in his story collections In Our Time (1925) and the posthumous The Nick Adams Stories (1972).
- The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway was published by Scribner’s in 1987. This volume contains all of Hemingway’s stories, including some previously unpublished pieces. The foreword is written by Hemingway’s three sons.
- Critics often call Pam Houston a kind of modern-day Hemingway. Her story collection Cowboys Are My Weakness (1992) describes her female narrator’s adventures in the wilderness, including whitewater rafting, hunting, and mountain climbing.
- Maxwell Perkins was Hemingway’s editor for years. The Only Thing That Counts: The Ernest Hemingway/Maxwell Perkins Correspondence 1925-1947, edited by Matthew Joseph Bruccoli, collects letters the two men wrote to each other. Perkins was also F. Scott Fitzgerald’s editor.
- In The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas (1933) Gertrude Stein discusses her friendship with Hemingway, as well as with a number of Hemingway’s cohorts, including Sherwood Anderson and Maxwell Perkins.
Unlock This Study Guide Now
Start your 48-hour free trial and unlock all the summaries, Q&A, and analyses you need to get better grades now.
- 30,000+ book summaries
- 20% study tools discount
- Ad-free content
- PDF downloads
- 300,000+ answers
- 5-star customer support