1. Research the Socialist movement in America at the turn of the twentieth century.
2. Along with French and Russian writers, Sinclair helped establish the tradition of naturalism. Research the characteristics of the "naturalistic novel" and analyze how The Jungle fits into the movement.
3. Read Stephen Crane's Maggie: A Girl of the Streets (1893) and compare it to The Jungle.
4. The meat-packing industry remains controversial today. Research some of the practices that people find unacceptable.
5. Research the Pure Food and Drugs Act passed by Congress in 1906 and explain why it was necessary.